Resources: Pre K-12 Education
The REEI Outreach Program
The REEI Outreach Program implements the Institute's mission as a US Department of Education-funded Title VI National Resource Center to serve as an informational resource on the Russian and East European area for the needs of local, regional and national constituencies. Check out REEI on the OUTREACHWORLD website!
Teacher Training Workshops
REEI organizes one-day teacher training workshops on a variety of topics. These may take place all over the state of Indiana. Topics vary from year to year. The series, Geography and History of the World, is designed to assist Indiana teachers with implementation of the new Indiana Department of Education Standards.
Indiana University arranges for faculty, advanced graduate students or international students to give presentations on a variety of topics. In recent years we’ve focused a great deal of attention on doing site visits to all of the precollege Russian language programs in Indiana and neighboring states. We have also formed a partnership with the Bloomington campus Upward Bound Project to offer Russian language training in their six week summer residential academic experience.
Audiovisual and Curriculum Lending Library
REEI lends material free of charge to users nationwide. The collection includes new releases of Russian and East European feature films (with English subtitles) and documentary programs designed for college -and precollege-level audiences. Books and teaching aids, youth-specific videos, and maps are also available.
E-mail Distribution List
You may subscribe to our The reei_k12 e-mail distribution list by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. This list will inform K-12 teachers of opportunities for professional development related to teaching about Russia and Eastern Europe. Postings will include such items as free curriculum materials, announcements of teacher training workshops, opportunities to apply for grants, and other outreach services. Postings will average one message per month during the academic year.
REEI develops two-way interactive video classes and special programs on Russian and East European topics through Indiana University International Studies in Schools program (ISIS).
Summer Institute for International Studies
The Indiana University Center for the Study of Global Change hosts a residential international studies institute for K-12 teachers. Recent workshop topics have included environmental problems, population and gender and conflict management. Visit their website for more information, www.indiana.edu/~global/issi/.
REEI publishes a free quarterly newsletter, REEIfication, which reports on research projects of faculty, students and alumni. A section entitled Outreach Notes shares information about new publications, audiovisual materials, teaching aids, workshops and fellowships. An online version is available.
Indiana in the World
Indiana in the World has been selected for inclusion in the ERIC Clearinghouse for Social Studies / Social Science Education. Over 4,000 copies of materials have been distributed to Indiana middle and high school teachers, education faculty and teachers in training across Indiana, various Indiana education associations, and other national global educators.
Resources offered by other universities and institutes.
- Bryn Mawr College Department of Russian Resources
- Bucknell University Russian Studies Materials
- Center for European and Russian Studies - UCLA
- The Slavic and East European Language Resource Center - Duke University and University of North Carolina
- Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program
- The University of Kansas Center for Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies - Resources for Teachers
- University of Michigan's Russian and East European Studies Teacher Outreach
- Language Learning Modules for Russian - Michigan State University
- Multimedia Interactive Modules for Education and Assessment - Michigan State University
- The Ohio State University's Center for Slavic & East European Studies P-12 Outreach
- Outreach Resources at the University of Pittsburgh
- University of Texas at Austin Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies - K-12 Educational Outreach
- Center for Russia, East Europe, and Central Asia- University of Wisconsin-Madison