The English Minor
Contact the English Advising Office (Ballantine 442, 855-9532, or see http://www.indiana.edu/~engweb/advising.shtml) to meet with an advisor and declare the minor.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MINOR IN ENGLISH
15 credit hours in English above the 100 level, including:
- ENG L260 Introduction to Advanced Study of Literature (3 cr.).
- One introductory genre course (3 cr.) approved for CASE Intensive Writing credit, chosen from
- L203 Introduction to Drama
- L204 Introduction to Fiction
- L205 Introduction to Poetry
- L206 Introduction to Prose (Excluding Fiction)
- L310 Literary History 1: Beginnings through the Seventeenth Century
- L312 Literary History 2: Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries
- L316 Literary History 3: Twentieth and Twenty-first Centuries
Note: W202 and W205 are not approved for inclusion in the major or minor.
A student may complete both the English Minor and another minor offered by the Department of English as long as different courses are chosen to complete each minor. Students pursuing a major in English are not eligible for the English Minor.
PREVIOUS REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ENGLISH MINOR
Minor requirements are dependent upon when you matriculated at IU Bloomington. Follow the requirements based on when you entered the university.
For students entering Indiana University through Spring 2014:
- L202: Literary Interpretation.(3 hours)
- Two historical literature courses representing two periods in the history of literatures in English, chosen from the departmentally-approved Historical Distribution Requirement course list. (6 hours)
- One English elective course(3 credit hours) at the 200 level or higher.
- 4. One English elective course (3 credit hours) at the 300 level or higher.
Total: 15 hours
At least 9 credit hours of the minor must be taken in residence on the Bloomington campus.